Friday, January 9, 2009

Chugga chugga chew chew

So, as some of you may know, this past holiday was made all the more merry and bright for me by the getting out of my wisdom teeth. This, of course, was met with a lot of well-intended replies of, "It'll be fun! You'll get to eat ice cream all day :D" Heh, well, they're half right. I did get to eat ice cream, though it was soy ice cream, of course. And frankly, I think soy ice cream is better. Regular ice cream always made me feel ill after I ate it, not only because I'm mildly lactose intolerant, but because it felt heavy and clammy in my stomach and left a sort of scummy residue in my mouth. Soy ice cream is lighter, more fresh to the taste and it has about half the calories. My personal favorite would have to be this one;

It's Soy Delicious
Photobucket

I love green tea, and this is an exceptional second application of it. Usually when one encounters green tea flavoured foodstuffs, the bitter, plant-y taste of green tea clashes horribly with the base flavour or it has been watered down or slaughtered with a bumtonne of sugar to appease blander tastes. Soy Delicious, however, stays true to the mossy, woodsy flavour of green tea without losing the creamy, dreamy sweetess of icecream. So very, very yummy.

But! I can't be eating only icecream for days on end, yes? Dinner must come first. So, here's a look at a chew-free vegan dinner I had one night )along with my painkillers and penicillin :P);

Photobucket

IN THE TEACUP: Odwalla Superfood Smoothie.
Affectionately referred to as "sludge" by myself, this stuff really, admittedly, does not look appetising in the least. It's murky brownish green and it does have the appearance of blended swampbabies. However, this is because it has not been prettied up with yicky artificial colours. No sweeteners, either. This stuff is nothing but natural and it's fantastic for you. True to its name, it packs a huge, nutritional whollop (wheatgrass, spirulina and green/blue algae are all on the list of top ten superfoods), and, as a good chunk of it is actually fruit, it tastes absolutely amazing. Take care though, and only drink the serving size as this stuff is fairly high cal.

IN THE ITTY BITTY CUP: Applesauce with a splash of pomegranate juice stirred in.
I admit, a good part of my reasoning for the pomegranate juice is that "it looks pritty", but that's all right because Pomegranate juice is loads of good for you. It's packed with antioxidants and vitamins, and it adds an exciting, fruity bite to anything you put it in. As far as applesauce goes, its delish, quick, cheap and low cal. Get the unsweetened kind and eat it as is, stir in some extra fruit juice, or add cinnamon.

IN THE BOWL: Instant Miso Soup.
I'm a big fan of miso soup and not such a big fan of Instant food, but I felt this one was worth mentioning. Most miso soups use fish sauce, however, this one did not. Additionally, this is the first time I have encountered miso soup which had sesame seeds in it. Unusual, but the flavour combination was interesting, Unforunately, I have forgotten what brand this was, but it's worth a sample if you can find it (they come in single-serving packets).

IN THE BIG CUP: Pomegranate white tea.
Words can not describe how much I love this tea (you might notice I'd already drunk half of it before this photo was taken :P) It tastes absolutely amazing with a gentle fruity bite before the echo of that characteristic, golden-mellow white tea flavour. In addition, both pomegranates and white tea are fabulous for you (I've heard that white tea is even better for you than green tea). Trader Joe's makes this tea, and I have yet to find it anywhere else, but if you can get hold of it, do so and enjoy ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment